Tuesday, June 25, 2019

The Knowable World


At 14, I thought I was on the cusp of something.  In a quest for perfection, I took up ballet. I quit eating and fell to 95 pounds.  Snapped a flag in color guard, sang in the chorus, made a best friend.  I was planning on medical school--loved to trace the blue, latex-filled veins, the ropy nerves of the tomcat frozen in the midst of a mortal yowl.  I loved the soft swish of mesentery tearing from muscle.  It was comforting to name the cranial nerves, the bones, even their holes and ridges.  The tests were meant to be hard, but I aced them easily.

In 1969, my biology class traveled by bus to a marine wildlife refuge off the Jersey coast.  About the refuge I have only a vague impression: reeds, heat, sand, and salt, the raw croaking of seagulls. In the paper we had to write, I made what felt like a risky confession: “The best part was lying on the boardwalk in the sun.”  Mr. Matt returned the paper marked with a big red A, and a comment next to my confession: “As good a reason as any!” I felt relieved but also uneasy: Did I believe him? 

Now I rest on the boardwalk like a limpet, waiting for the sun to seep through me.  I’ve closed up shop on the children, the teaching, the giving to others.  The barnacles of time and age are weighing on me.  I’m not sure I believe in Darwin anymore, the simple mechanics of natural selection, the knowable world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Forging the Second Self: A memoir in progress.

Forging the Second Self: Post-Teaching, Post-Mothering, Post-Midlife: Who Will I Be Now? Part I.: Who Am I Now? When I see myself a...