Sunday, June 30, 2019

A Gift Unearned


How do you build a new self from the ground up?  Is the foundation intact, or is even that subject to revision?

Several years ago, in a moment of boredom, I picked up a pencil and started sketching: a chunk of rock in a kids' book: swirls of purple and blue and white, with multiple facets, gradations of light. 

To my own surprise, I kept on drawing.  A cherry, a tree, an eye, a shoe.  I taught myself from an online art class.  I was playing, not expecting perfection, not taking the whole adventure seriously.  I found myself honing in on people’s faces, despite warnings about the insane difficulty of portraiture, and have never wavered—I, who can barely decide on a couch or a paint color. 

I had taught myself how to draw as a child from a mail order art course, copied photos of people from magazines.  Offhandedly sketched a face here and there.  I forgot all that.  Yet here it is, returning, a pure, cold spring.  A self I neither nurtured nor dreamed of becoming--a gift, wholly unearned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Forging the Second Self: A memoir in progress.

Forging the Second Self: Post-Teaching, Post-Mothering, Post-Midlife: Who Will I Be Now? Part I.: Who Am I Now? When I see myself a...