Tuesday, April 7, 2020

What Will Get Me Through

Yesterday, walking outside alone, I breathed in the sweet scent of cedar shavings.  Noticed the soft touch of sun on my cheek.  The stillness of the neighborhood, the whipping call of a cardinal high in a tree, a chickadee's three-note whistle.

These are the things that will get me through this sad and desperate time.  Not hopeful words, not falsely-optimistic projections, not the belief that God will protect me from tragedy and death, not imagining the things I'll do when this is over.  Not even a belief that some part of me will persist after death.

Just the body reveling in nature.  Just being here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Forging the Second Self: A memoir in progress.

Forging the Second Self: Post-Teaching, Post-Mothering, Post-Midlife: Who Will I Be Now? Part I.: Who Am I Now? When I see myself a...